History: 50 year old male with diabetes, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea, and hyperlipidemia presents with 1 week history of hemoptysis.
The differential for crazy paving pattern is wide, however, classically it is seen with pulmonary alveolar proteinosis, which was the diagnosis in this case.
The differential diagnosis for crazy paving pattern is as follows:
1. Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis
2. Pneumocystis pneumonia
3. Acute interstitial pneumonia
4. Diffuse alveolar damage or hemorrhage
5. Pulmonary edema
6. Nonspecific interstitial pneumonia
7. Eosinophilic pneumonia
8. Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia
There are other more rare entities that can manifest as a crazy paving pattern.